Monday, May 6, 2013

I slept with one hundred truckers


After mermaids in Miami and Todd Hido on the Paramount Lot (LA) I couldn't get further than Desert Center, an exit off Interstate 10. The place used to have an all nite cafe and a gas station. Both are now closed, and having no money, I pulled my red Echo off the road down from the cafe and set the seat back and fell deep asleep only to be woken by the drumm of a semi truck's motor...then head lights in my mirror of yet another 18 wheeler till I was well surrounded by dozing truckers. By the time I woke 6 hrs later they were all gone.
I went to a hearing in the Federal Court House on May 1. I had my letter from my tax accountant describing how I make my living- dealing photos. A letter from Terry Etherton of Etherton gallery stating they sold parts of my collection in the previous year (Weegee, etc.) And a letter from Katy Awful explaining how she and I met and how we worked together with no money in mind. I figured because of all my evidence my case would be dismissed (commercial photography without a National Park permit). Instead after 2 hours I met with a prosecutor and when I went to give my rap he said I had two choices..pay the $500 fine or go to trial. I'm going to trail but I must admit I don't know the lawyer lingo but if I want a lawyer its going to cost me one of my valued photos (Jagger ,etc) At the same hearing was a single mother who had aNational Park ticket of $900 for not having proof of her car insurance even though she had insurance just not her card! They told her they would reduce the fine in half or she could go to trial. The $450 would mean a loss of 1/4 of her monthly income!
Federal marshalls take no prisoners.

No comments:

Post a Comment