Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stop Making Sense

My daughter Leah splashed through Tucson with her friend, Hallie recent graduate from the masters program in architecture from Harvard. Everytime I tried to pin the girls down as to what time they would arrive or which way they were going I got "Dad!!..I'm just a passanger". (Leah has no license. Never had one). I know they were in Richmond, Virginia then Nashville, Tennessee then New Orleans so I moved the "meet my daughter Leah (30 friends) breakfast" to Monday morning 8 to 10 am at Jim Reed's casa with pool. I called twenty four hours b4 Monday and she again said "Dad!..." We're in Austin and we'll never make by Monday morning." Great.
I cancelled.
But not well enough. I went swimimng with a mermaid with my phone. SO dead phone. No internet at home and Rachel and Kiana and Cactus Mike never heard the cancellation and showed up with a nude Jim in the shower. Shit!
Monday afternoon I phone Leah and Hallie answers Leah's phone. Hah?
 "Leah's driving".
"Oh, she has a learner's permit".
"No".
What! Hallie you will be working for someone else for the rest of your life if Leah's gets into an accident without a license. Therefore no insurance.
"We both have to pee. We'll stop soon".
"What! Pull over and switch"
I offer to pay for a motel so the sole driver, Hallie, can rest.
Nope.
I have images of when I rolled my Toyota Tacoma on interstate 10 at Benson at 4 am at 60 mph. I call my ex wife which I don't do any longer and she knows Leah is driving and it also upsets her but she says Leah told her I let her drive.
What! I let Lerah drive on a remote road in northern Michigan many years ago.
I meet them at Zona 78 off Tanque Verde and Jim Reed has come along. Leah is fashion casual perfect and the two girls are covered in tattoos. Leah has "415" etched into the side of her hand. At least its not "143".


I'm excited to begin the long process of alerting my two duaghters to the value of the collection I have amassed so after dinner we caravan to my place which used to be Leah's grandmother's and is now a moveable feast tzunami.


I warn them to not be caught in the tide 

The three come in and I go itno my bedroom to turn on lights. Moments later I come back out and Jim says (bewildered) Leah left crying.
What!
I go out and find her in the driveway and she says her and Hallie are having their periods and she is volatile. Yeah but what triggered tears. She doesn't want to talk about but wants to see Jim's work that I have been pontificating about over dinner.
Stymied and confused I don't want to drive. I want to get sympathy from Jim who is also a dad. He drives us. The girls follow us to Jim's and they are mesmerized by his period house. Oh well, i think, this is really working out. 









Hallie is worried about rattlesnakes and scorpions but it isn't until she sees Jim's art of women in prom dresses that she turns away horrified. The "Uncanny Valley" she explains.
Wikipedia says The uncanny valley is a hypothesis in the field of human aesthetics which holds that when human features look and move almost, but not perfectly, like natural human beings, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. (ie Hallie). The term was coined by the robotics professor Masahiro Mori as Bukimi no Tani Genshō (不気味の谷現象) in 1970. The hypothesis has been linked to Ernst Jentsch's concept of the "uncanny" identified in a 1906 essay, "On the Psychology of the Uncanny".[5][6][7] Jentsch's conception was elaborated by Sigmund Freud in a 1919 essay entitled "The Uncanny" ("Das Unheimliche").[8]


on the floor of Jim's studio

We had to emphasis NOT tpo step on rattlesnakes and to follow Jim's lead. follow the Arnold Palmer white robe.


note the resemblance to the Legend of Sleepy Hollow (I grew up down the street in Briarcliff Manor, westchester)










No comments:

Post a Comment