Monday, August 12, 2013

Wild Life In Tucson, Arizona

One day, earlier last month, I went west out of town on Ironweed to visit my friend Bob Campbell.



Upham's Living Desert is a stone community with a pool and limping old javelinas that rest in the shade of Bob's porch. I found them charming. The community was built over the last fifty years one builind at a time. Ah, Tucson!


I couldn't stay long. Tried on a hat and left.


Went across town to my new best friend Jim Reed 



whose always open and vegan. One out of two isn't bad.



 Visiting Jim you never know where he might appear- from his studio, from his pool, from his house. He came tip toeing out from behind a bush saying a bobcat cub was napping on his short porch next to his bed.



Then Leah and Hallie came and since Hallie has a master's from Harvard in architecture I thought they should know Darren and Gary and their house on Sampson st.






That was my stetson till my fashionista daughter came to town. But then again the hat Jim is always wearing was mine 2 till he realized it fit his head!


(misshappened Jim at the Sunday flea)

I wanted very much for H & L to see the backyard...their schway.


As we strolled about, Gary told me about Flora, their new edition to their backyard family. A Solcata tortoise from Southern Sudan, she is due to grow to twice the size.



I've been watering my friend Alan B. Goldstein plants over up Swan and one nite I came face to face with a foot in diameter Aphonopelma chalcodes aka an "Arizona blonde" (male). very sexy. Last year I had the pleasure of one cross my afternoon nap bed and I remember one August, after a monsoon storm, finding dozens of black taranchulas on the 12th green, and once I picked up this girl and she and her friend came back to my place and I tied her to a hospital gurney and placed a newly demised taranchula on her pretty face. Consenual of course.


When I was arranging the breakfast shingdig for Leah and Hallie to be held at Jim Reed's pool I wanted mermaid lounging at the bottom of his cool pool. I happen to wander into La Fashionista, a new vintage and more shop next to my friends at Atlas framing on 6th Avenue. Eleanor Leon and I became fast friends and she suggested her friend, Debbie's, 14 yr old aspiring model daughter, Angel Carrillo! Soon enough Jim Reed and I were shooting in a double wide trailer off Orange Grove. One of my friend's was horrified and convinced I would be taking advantage of the young miss.



It was fabulous, surreal and wonderful. Eleanor styled using my props, her son Emmanuel L. Spiro sat on the couch knitting and later, using my camera to take photos at the pool. Angel's live-in 16 yr old skater boarder boyfriend, Angel's dad arrived about an hour into the shoot, Angel's grandmom who suffers from dementia but not enough not to enjoy Jim's nearness and Debbie, Eleanor's very helpful, mom.




Angel waiting through a busy signal




I have a new friend that sits at the same cafe I do and looks for gold using a divining ball hanging from a chain that spins (sometimes and 2 different degrees). When I told him I had been doing a story down in Florida on mermaids he got very serious and asked "The real ones?"






























No comments:

Post a Comment